Dolci Baci Poached Pears
August 2, 2017
Adapted from a recipe by Kate Merker in Real Simple magazine
- 1 1/2 cups Trillium Vineyard's Dolci Baci wine
- 1 lemon
- 1 navel orange, quartered
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split (or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 4 ripe pears (any variety), peeled
- In a small saucepan, off the heat, combine the wine, the juice from the lemon and orange, 1 of the squeezed orange quarters, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon stick, and cloves.
- Add the pears and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally, until they're easily pierced with the tip of a knife, about 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to individual plates.
- Remove and discard the orange quarter and spices. Return the liquid to a simmer and cook until syrupy and reduced by two-thirds, about 15 minutes, depending on size of pan. Spoon the sauce over the pears.