Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsps butter
- 2 tsps dill weed
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups rich chicken bone broth
- 3 tbsps dry white wine (Forever Friends)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsps thickener of choice, like tapioca flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley and dried mushroom slices for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a large soup pot.
2. When the butter begins to bubble, add the onions. Sauté until the onions just begin to brown.
3. Add the mushrooms, stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the dill, paprika, salt, bone broth and wine. Stir well to combine the seasonings.
5. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6. In a small bowl combine the cream and the thickener. Stir well to ensure no lumps. You do not want this beautiful soup messed up with lumps!
7. Slowly add the cream mixture to the soup, stirring all the while. Continue to stir for another couple of minutes while the soup thickens. Do not boil.
8. Make any necessary adjustments on the thickness: More broth to thin it down, more cream and thickener to thicken it up.
9. When the soup is the consistency you like, check for salt. Make adjustments.
10. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and garnish.
11. Serve with freshly ground pepper.