Forever Friends Roast Chicken
August 2, 2017
Adapted from a recipe in cooking.nytimes.com
- 2 1/2 ozs dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 lbs waxy boiling potatoes, like Yukon Gold, quartered
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 cup Forever Friends Vermentino
- 1 2/3 cups Chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring 1 2/3 cups chicken broth to a simmer, and stir in the porcini; soak for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving both mushrooms and broth. Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the garlic and cook until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the mushroom broth, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes, so that it reduces by 1/3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Trim off excess fat from the chicken pieces. Rinse and pat dry. Place the chicken, skin-side down, in one layer, in a large roasting pan.
- Tuck the potatoes and mushrooms around the chicken. Sprinkle with the rosemary, wine and remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over, season with more salt and pepper and continue cooking until the chicken and potatoes are lightly browned, 30 to 35 minutes more.
- Serve with the vegetables and the juices from the pan.